Thursday 30 April 2015

Merx

A woman steps into a darkened store. There's a guard behind her and the unknown to the fore.

I've finally gotten started on the third scene I wanted to replace, this time it's the city. Eschewing the original scenes in their totality, I've created a set up for my heroine to get a little involved in the factions, and perhaps darkness, lurking beneath the surface of the city. Those tendrils should extend a little deeper throughout the first half of the book, giving it a depth and intrigue which most of the settlements they visited lacked.

For the first time in a long while I'm freely writing, and it's quite enjoyable, except for the fact that I'm stuck. I'm not blocked, the set-pieces are all in place, the actors lurking in the shadows, but this little meeting needs an event (or series of) that would take no more than a handful of days to complete, and not overly impede my character's mission to find information nor distract from the overall quest.

Quite a conundrum, really.

Except most of that doesn't concern me. All I'm actually doing is trying to put a few hirelings (plus one) into a room with some, let's call them...traders...that have an issue that needs taking care of. Be that guarding merchandise in the city, breaking into somewhere, taking down some thugs and thieves, warring with another faction, protecting from an assassin, delivering a missive - on the sly of course, or something else that hasn't come to mind, well, I just can't decide.

Y'know, I'm still enjoying the thinkin' though :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ahoy Thar Shipmaet! We be sailin' t3h failboat seas!